Q. Do I need a permit for a swimming pool?
A. Yes. Both above ground and in-ground pools require a building permit.
Q. Where do I go to apply for a building permit?
- Morden Permits – City of Morden office
- Winkler Permits – City of Winkler office
- Stanley Permits – RM of Stanley office
- All other permits – MSTW Planning District office
Q. Do I need a building permit to finish my basement?
A. Yes, a building permit is required for finishing your basement. If the exterior walls of the basement are insulated, just bring in a floor plan of the proposed development.
Q. How long does a permit last?
A. Permits expire on the 15th day of the 25th month following the approval of the permit. For example, a permit approved on September 14, 2015 would expire on October 15, 2017. The extension fee needs to be paid prior to date of expiry.
Q. How long does it take to get a building permit?
A. When the permit application is complete; all required drawings have been submitted and fees have been paid (see Building Permit Requirements), the permit application is forwarded to the Building Inspectors for approval. Permit approval is as follows:
- 5-7 business days for residential applications
- 7-12 business days for commercial applications
Q. How do I know which inspections to call for?
A. When a building permit is approved, you will receive a list of the inspections required.
Q. What type of work do I need a building permit for?
A. A building permit is required for all construction with the following exceptions:
- Regular maintenance and repair of any development provided it does not include structural alterations.
- An accessory building that is: less than 10 square meters in area; does not exceed 15' or one storey in height and is not considered a hazard by the Designated Officer.
- An unenclosed deck that is less than 2’ above grade unless it is anchored to the building.
- A fence. (see zoning by-law)
- Private driveways and concrete patios (unless you may want to construct a building or addition to a building on the patio at any time in the future).